Capitol riot investigators subpoenaed a former Trump Justice Department official involved in questioning the results of the 2020 election.
The House Jan. 6 Select Committee announced on Wednesday that it seeks testimony and records from Jeffrey Clark, who was the head of the DOJ’s civil division during the Trump administration, making him the latest of several Trump allies and advisers subpoenaed by the panel.
Clark was found to have drawn up a proposal to intervene in the Georgia certification process and raised doubts about the election results in other states, and former President Donald Trump is said to have favored replacing Jeffrey Rosen, his acting attorney general, with Clark in order to carry out a more aggressive strategy to challenge President Joe Biden’s victory in November.
However, the former president opted not to dismiss Rosen after he was told during an early January meeting in the Oval Office that top DOJ officials and White House counsel Pat Cipollone would resign if he went through with the plan, according to the 394-page report released last week from the Senate Judiciary Committee, which was based on the testimony of former officials and documents.
“The Select Committee needs to understand all the details about efforts inside the previous administration to delay the certification of the 2020 election and amplify misinformation about the election results. We need to understand Mr. Clark’s role in these efforts at the Justice Department and learn who was involved across the administration. The Select Committee expects Mr. Clark to cooperate fully with our investigation,” Chairman Bennie Thompson said in a statement.
The subpoena compels Clark to produce records and testify at a deposition on Oct. 29.
A lawyer for Clark declined to comment to the Washington Post.
Clark was hired by the New Civil Liberties Alliance as the conservative civil rights group’s chief of litigation and director of strategy during the summer, but a Washington Examiner review of the NCLA website and the Internet Archive’s Wayback Machine appear to show that all signs of his employment there have been scrubbed.
The Washington Examiner reached out to NCLA for comment on Clark’s employment.
Clark refused to sit down for a voluntary interview, the Senate Judiciary Committee report said. Sen. Dick Durbin, chairman of the panel, has asked the D.C. Bar to open an investigation into Clark.
Washington Examiner Videos
Original Author: Daniel Chaitin